Colin Ferrell completed a banner high school career at Steinert and followed that up with an all-star career at Kent State University.

"Colin Ferrell was one of the most dominant defensive players in the history of Mercer County football," said former SHS coach Frank Gatto. "He had a great career at Kent State. Injury cut short a promising NFL career. Colin is currently coaching the defensive line at Kent State. There is no greater honor for a coach than to see a former player now coaching and helping young people achieve their goals in life."

At Steinert, he earned three varsity letters in football and two in track and field.

Steinert was a big part of his life and so is Kent State.

He was a four-year starter at defensive tackle. He served as a team captain and received all-conference honors.

In 2008, he was a free agent rookie defensive tackle with the Indianapolis Colts who made it to the team's final cuts.

From 2009-11, he was a defensive line coach at The Hun School of Princeton and he had the same role at SHS in 2012.

Ferrell praised his coaches at SHS, starting at the top with Gatto. "Without those experiences, I wouldn't be where I'm at today," he said. "I'd (also) have to credit Coach (Ron) Yacyk, and Coach (Bill) James, who took me under his wing."

"I was fortunate to coach Colin directly for three years in football under Head Coach Frank Gatto, and then in each of those spring seasons in the shot put and discus, under Head Coach Doug Martin," James said. "It was a pleasure to see Colin start to emerge as a young sophomore to one of the most dominating defensive players by his junior and senior years. What was even more enjoyable was to watch him develop into an outstanding young man who contributed to not only our school community but the whole of Hamilton Township."

Ferrell noted the impact his teammates made as they helped him to grow.

"Chuddy Whalen and Joe McCarthy, who taught me what it meant to work in the weight room," Ferrell noted. "These guys would seek me out. When I was a junior, the light (finally) went on."